Friday, April 12, 2013

6th grade

I have been in the school consistently for about a week now and I feel as though it has been somewhat successful. My teacher teaches sixth grade social studies and has six classes a day and I have had the opportunity to teach almost everyday. It has been very exhausting and sometimes I feel like I am not able to handle it. The students are quite boisterous and speak their mind at all times. They love to argue. However, when I teach they do seem to behave a bit better than when their regular teacher teaches. I assume it is because they enjoy having someone new talk to them. 

I have also had the opportunity to tutor several kids during their tutorials, which occurs twice a week during specials. This has been a particularly rewarding experience for me because I have been able to see them actually try on their work. The students in this particular class have a hard time concentrating and openly and honestly admit to not caring about their work. It was extremely rewarding for me to help them as they did their best on their assignment (it is a reading tutorial and the students fill out quizzes like a practice STARR test) and work hard. The kids call me, Ms. T and it felt good to hear them thank me for helping and teaching them.

I also taught my first lesson which was exhausting but fun. The students are going over sub Saharan Africa, and needed to learn about the different regions of Africa. I had the room divided into five sections and the students, who had a map worksheet, walked around in groups and colored in their map using a key and also found information on each region. I think it went well for the most part, and I did have to adapt for different classes. I am excited to see what the rest of the week will bring and I teach my final lesson next Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment