Monday, March 18, 2013

Kid Kit!

For those of you playing along at home, a kid kit is an activity box that students can use when they finish their work early and need something to do. The activities are intended for individuals and focus on a specific theme. We were instructed to pick a container that was small, easy to store, and stack because we would most likely have more than one kid kit available. I choose a clean pizza box. Yes, a pizza box. Mostly because a) they're free and b) they're free. I asked Papa Johns if I could have one, and offered to pay for it, and they graciously gave me two, free of charge. 

For my first kid kit, I wanted to pick a theme that was fun, but also something I had personal interest in. I LOVE Disney so my theme was decided quite quickly. My family lives in California and happens to frequent Disneyland pretty often, so I asked them to send me a map of the park and they graciously agreed.

Here's the front of my box:


 Don't let that beautiful red paper fool you. It's the devil of paper. It took serious coaking, sweet talking, rubber cement, and glue to keep on that freaking box.




 I also managed to make a gigantic mess. It's fine. I cleaned it up eventually...

The inside of the box empty and then packed with all my activities. 



Top left: Matching cards (princess and the frog...one of my favorite Disney movies btw), Fact and opinion cards on Disneyworld
Bottom left: Tinkerbell and Pirates of the Caribbean crossword puzzles, and a budgeting activity. The student has a $500 budget and must buy 2 adult tickets, 2 children tickets, food, drinks, snacks, and souvenirs. I printed out all the various restaurants from the Disney website and made up how much each place cost per plate. My family also sent me their tickets so I laminated those, the parking pass, and also put in 2 stickers. **Note** the back of the tickets which say my family's names on them and also the parking ticket turned black when I laminated them. I guess the heat mixed with the material in the paper caused a reaction which made the paper change colors.

Left side (strong side): Find the multiples of 3,5,7,11 and match them to the correct number, and a timeline activity using a park map and the entertainment (shows, etc) students plan out how they would spend a day at Disneyland and use the laminated pooh bear paper to write it out.

 Top left: Ride cards and the students uses them as inspiration to create their own ride, Captain Jack's guide to being a pirate...use it and then write your own guide. 

Bottom left: compare and contrast the temperatures of the Disney parks around the world, order the dates found in the mickey trivia in sequential order and then write the facts down after.

Here's a closer look of the pirate guide. It was free from: here
All the fonts I used were actual Disney fonts as well, which made me feel good about myself. Especially because they were free. The only things that cost me money was the paper (bought in a large pack for $6 at Hobby Lobby), the lamination (honestly, that was about $15), and the letters ($5 from Hobby Lobby). 

Here's where I got my fonts from: here and here.

I wish I was at Disneyland.

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment