Sunday, March 10, 2013

Melted Crayon Art



So I have finally decided to jump on the bandwagon and make my own "melted crayon art". I'm sure there's a more hip term for it, but as usual I don't know it. If you're one of the few who has not made this craft yet, you really should. It's SO easy! And I think it looks really cool too.

First start with some crayons.



I picked all the vibrant colors out of these 2 boxes of crayons. I didn't count how many I ended up using, but I think it was about 60-64. Of course you'll also need a 11x17 canvas. I got mine from my room mate for Christmas. 



Arrange your crayons the way you want. Then hot glue them to the top of your canvas.

For the next part, I moved into the garage. 





I used a heat gun to melt the crayons. My dad is melting them in this picture because he doesn't know how to use my phone to take the picture. I promise I did all the work though.
Word of Advice: Do NOT move the heat gun/ blow dryer back and forth in a "shaking" motion. This will cause the colors to mix. Unless of course, you want that to happen.
 
Andddd....we're done! Super easy. Painless. My other word of advice is don't move the canvas for a few hours. It cools very quickly but the "drips" are still fragile so make sure its completely dry before you move it.





I haven't completely decided how I'll use this in my future classroom. I am torn between putting my name or just "welcome". 
I hope this inspires you to make some melted crayon art if you haven't already!

Maria

 



1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! Your project turned out AMAZING, girl! I'm so excited to see what you do next, Miss Maria :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete